Worship Through Service
Thanks to everyone who participated in our Worship Through Service Day on September 25, 2016. Our Session committees, the Deacons, and other groups within the church chose several activities and projects to allow all ages and abilities to participate in community service. Each church member was able to work on an activity particularly of interest. We will all worked together to serve others, living our faith, following Jesus' example.
- Painting at UCP - The Fellowship Committee's project will paint two rooms and a bathroom on Sunday, September 25, at United Cerebral Palsy of Northeastern Pennsylvania's facility at 423 Center Street in Clarks Summit. UCP will supply all materials. They could use 10 - 12 people for two to three hours.
- Distributing Items at the Women's Resource Center - The Finance Committee is collecting and distributing items for the Women’s Resource Center in Scranton. The Center provides services for female and male victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence, and stalking in Lackawanna and Susquehanna Counties.
- Clean up Hemlock Park - The Mission and Justice Committee invites you to help clean up Hemlock Park, located on Hemlock Street right behind Moe's. We will be power washing the composite picnic tables and garbage cans, removing graffiti from the gazebo, painting the park's sign, and weeding the gardens and playground areas.
- Distribute Donated Books - The Deacons will ask members of the congregation to donate new or gently used books during the last two weeks of August, which will be distributed on September 25 to various facilities. There will be specially marked boxes in Fellowship Hall where donations can be made.
- Make Ugly Quilts - My Brother's Keeper group will make a number of Ugly Quilts, sleeping bags from recycled materials to prevent hypothermia, for the homeless. On September 25, we invite you to join us in Fellowship Hall right after worship, where we will make as many quilts as possible. If you can make a knot, you can help!
- Small Repairs & Yard Work (Sunday) - The Building and Grounds committee will make small repairs and assist with yard work at homes of our church members.
- Small Repairs & Yard Work (Saturday) - The People in Ministry committee is contacting neighbors within a three block radius of the church building to make small repairs and assist with yard work. This project will happen on Saturday, September 24.
- Clean Yard at the Children’s Advocacy Center - The Christian Education Committee invites you to spend Saturday morning, September 24, cleaning up the yard of The Children’s Advocacy Center. It is located on Mulberry Street in Scranton. The garden beds need to be cleaned out and weeded. We will also rake the yard and plant bulbs and flowers.
- Concert at Allied Rehab - The Worship, Music, and Arts Committee will present a concert and sing-along at the Allied Rehabilitation Center on Sunday, September 25, at 2:00 p.m. The concert will include members of our choirs, members of the bell choir, and anybody in the church family who likes to sing and make music.