“Life’s most persistent and urgent question is: ‘What are your doing for others?’”
Please let the Board of Deacons Care Team Coordinators listed below or the church office (570-586-6306) know if anyone is in need of care. We're here for First Presbyterian Church members and friends and we count on all of you to let us know when help is needed. This is our ministry and our Christian privilege to care for you.
Independent & Assisted Living: Sara Ann Hosier, 587-0371
Time of Loss: Alice Broxton, 587-5858
Emergency Home Repair/Maintenance: Joe Waters (586-7233) or Greg Matthews (587-2644)
Here are things you can do to make a difference:
- Donate gently-used clothing to St. Francis soup kitchen. Place them in the box in Fellowship Hall and they will be delivered.
- St. Francis Soup Kitchen: sponsor and serve a meal monthly
- Provide a Sunday night dinner for the Bethel AME Homeless Shelter. Contact the office for details and scheduling.
- Bethel Homeless Shelter is in need of the following items: sugar, powdered creamer and powdered milk, coffee, tea, instant iced tea, breakfast bars, packets of instant oatmeal, and individual snacks. You can place donations in the Narthex.
- Flood Relief: working with PDA (Presbyterian Disaster Assistance) and Lackawanna Presbytery to repair local homes devastated by the 2011 flood. We are also working with PDA to help those affected by Hurricane Sandy.
- Habitat for Humanity Lackawanna Co.
- SERRV: We have helped in the Maryland warehouse packaging free trade/fair trade items.
- Adopt a Highway: Our congregation is part of the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation's Adopt-A-Highway program. We are responsible for cleaning the top section of the Morgan Highway four times a year. Next cleanup is November 14, 2015.
- Coups for troops - Coups for Troops is a non profit organization that collects manufacturer's coupons and distributes them to current military families that desire to use them. Military families are allowed to use the coupons up to six months past their expiration date. Please put unused clipped coupons in basket found in the Narthex.
- The Stephen Series from Stephen Ministries is a complete system for training and organizing lay people to provide one-to-one Christian care to hurting people in and around our congregation