Wednesday Adults and Youth Christian Education - W.A.Y.
Jesus said: "I am the Way, the Truth and The Life.
Our Wednesday evening programs are the foundations of the Christian Education and Music programs at the First Presbyterian Church.
Every Wednesday evening from September until late May, we offer Christian Education classes and choir programs for all ages - children, youth, and adults.
September 14 marked the start of the W.A.Y. program this year.
On each Wednesday during the church year, we gather at 6:15 pm to begin our programs, and then we split into various age groups, as shown below. For those who want to gather earlier we provide food and drink beginning at 5:00 to get you through the evening.
(Reservations (570-586-6306) are needed for the supper, but no reservations are required for the programs.)
- Chapel Choir (grades K-6) begins at 5:30, under the direction of our organist, Kay Ten Eyck
- All Christian Education classes begin at 6:15 pm
- Adult choir rehearsal begins at 7:15 pm. This choir welcomes young adults and older teens who love to sing.
- The handbell choir begins at 8:30 pm.
- Spark (Newborn - 3 year old) enjoy Bible stories, songs and games in the nursery. In November they will be learning about how God called Samuel, David is chosen, Solomon builds the temple, and Angels visit Mary.
- Power Xpress (4 year old - Grade 5) Are divided into two ages groups and experience Bible stories through interactive rotation classes. November’s units will be David the Boy, Daniel, and Journey to Bethlehem.
- We Believe (Grades 6-8) This fall, students will explore a unit called Knowing God, answering questions about who God is and who we are as Christians. In December, we will ask "How strong is God's power", and relate our view of God to our daily lives.
- PresbyYouth (Grades 9-12 and college-age adults) are encouraged to either join an adult class or participate in the middle school class.
- Adults: There will be two classes offered:
- In Room 206 for the next four weeks, Rev. Carter will invite us to hear and discuss four "Challenging Voices" who speak to the church: Diana Butler Bass, Wendell Berry, Barbara Brown Taylor, and Father Richard Rohr..
- Across the hall in Room 210, Dr. Charlie Pinches will lead a study of the "Resurrection Appearances of Jesus," as they are recorded in the New Testament.
- Teens - A teen choir is now forming. We're not sure yet on what day you will rehearse. Teens, please let the office (570-586-6306) know of your interest. We will check everyone’s schedule to see what the best day is.
- Chapel Choir (5:30 - 6:10 pm) - . This is our youth choir for children from Kindergarten through grade 6. In the choir, children begin to learn about church music and the role of music in worship while learning basics of choral singing, in a fun and age-appropriate setting.
- Adult Choir - (7:15 - 8:30 pm) Our adult choir, which includes teens above grade 7, is the primary choir, supporting our worship and other events and activities. It is open to all who are interested in worhiping God with music. There are no tryouts or auditions.
- Handbell Choir- (8:30 - 9:15 pm) The handbell choir features a 3½ octave set of Malmark bells, choirchimes, and joins in worship about every six weeks.