Welcome! We are glad you visited our online home.
Welcome to the online home of First Presbyterian Church of Clarks Summit, PA – “The Church On the Hill.” We are glad you have found the website of this lively, loving and faithful congregation. We invite you to click through our pages and discover why so many thoughtful Christians in our region make this church their spiritual home.
We are a congregation of the Presbyterian Church (USA) and have more than 500 members. Each week about 200 people attend worship and education, which makes us one of the largest Presbyterian congregations in Northeastern Pennsylvania.
We welcome all people to our church family. Check out our "how to join" page for more information.
Hot topics ...
- Lent is the forty days leading up to Easter. Look at the very special moments we have planned. -more-
- One Great Hour of Sharing (OGHS) kicks off in Lent. Our goal this year is $6,000. Please give generously. -more-
- On February 28, the annual Janson Lectureship will host Dr. Beth Tanner. -more-
- The next day, March 1, Pselabrate the Psalms with Dr. Tanner, as she preaches in a special Psalm festival at the 10:00 am worship.
- March 6 is World Day of Prayer. -more-
- The next Mending service will be Sunday, March 8 at 4:00 p.m. in the sanctuary. The Mending service is a contemplative service with prayers for healing, set in the context of jazz vespers.
- Did you know that you can use on-line giving for any gift to any program? Click on the big green pledge buttonand direct your gift to any program. Missions, music, youth programs, OGHS and the Deacon's Fund are just a few of the many programs that can use your gifts.
- Do you have a college student in your life? If so, we need their address so the Deacons can send care packages and for our records. Send us an e-mail or give us a call at 570-586-6306
- Nominations are now open for elders and deacons. If you know of a member who might serve the church, let us know. Nominating forms are available as Word and PDF documents.
- Souper Bowl Sunday was a super success. We were able to give $405 to the AEM Food Pantry. Thanks to everyone who contributed.
- The annual meeting of the congregation and corporation was held on Sunday, February 1, 2015. This year's annual report is available here.
- See the Camp Lackawanna programs for 2015. There are fun programs for all ages and interests. Scholarships are available here.
- Good news from Haiti! The support from FPC has provided training and seed capital for loans to emerging cooperatives in Haiti. Read the complete report from Groundswell International.
- Vacation Bible School dates have been announced - July 13 - 17, 2015. Check out our VBS page.
- St. Francis Kitchen needs winter clothing for those in need in the community. Bring clean, warm clothes to the box in Fellowship Hall.
- Bethel Homeless Shelter is in need of the following items: sugar, powdered creamer and powdered milk, coffee, tea, instant iced tea, breakfast bars, packets of instant oatmeal, and individual snacks. You can place donations in the Narthex. -more-
- Subscribe now to our weekly e-mail newsletter.
- The Church on the Hill has many activities for all. If you're into music, if you want to provide support for others, if you want to enrich your Christian life, or if you just want to get out and meet people with similar interests, we have activities for all. Click here for a list of our activites to enhance your life within our church community.
- Our national church's General Assembly met recently in Detroit. Here are a few of the summaries from the meeting, which you may find interesting:
- February 28 - This year's Janson Lecture will feature Beth Tanner. Dr. Tanner is a professor of Old Testament at New Brunswick Theological Seminary. She is also the co-author of a new commentary on the Book of Psalms. Registration is $10.00, which covers a warm lunch. For more information, or to sign up, download the registration form and return it to the church office. Dr. Tanner will also be preaching on the Psalms on March 1.
- March 6 is World Day of Prayer. Registration and refreshments will begin at 9:30 a.m., with the program by the Rev. Rebecca Tanner beginning at 10:00. Rev. Tanner serves the Presbytery at the Ashley Presbyterian Church, and resides in Clarks Summit. We will add our voices to those of the women of The Bahamas in prayer and song to support ecumenical efforts toward justice, peace, healing and wholeness. The annual offering supports the work of World Day of Prayer USA and helps meet the needs of families in The Bahamas and around the world who are victims of many forms of poverty, violence and injustice. The event will conclude with a lunch of Bahamian foods.
- March 10 The My Brothers’ Keeper Quilting group will hold its annual Sewing Workshop to make quilts for the homeless on March 10 from 10AM to 2PM in Fellowship Hall. This event is open to anyone interested in helping us. Please bring a lunch; soup will be provided. No experience necessary.
- March 29 - Brings the next event in the Arts at First Presbyterian Church. We will feature the Marywood Univerity Chamber Singers, and piano-organ duets with Mark Laubach and Rick Hoffenberg.
- April 7 is the date for this year's State Hospital Luncheon.
- April 11 is our next Adopt-a-Highway clean-up day.
Check our Calendar for more upcoming events.