Welcome! We are glad you visited our online home.
Welcome to the online home of First Presbyterian Church of Clarks Summit, PA – “The Church On the Hill.” We are glad you have found the website of this lively, loving and faithful congregation. We invite you to click through our pages and discover why so many thoughtful Christians in our region make this church their spiritual home.
We are a congregation of the Presbyterian Church (USA) and have more than 500 members. Each week about 200 people attend worship and education, which makes us one of the largest Presbyterian congregations in Northeastern Pennsylvania.
We welcome all people to our church family.
- Advent is nearly upon us. Check out the host of activities to celebrate the season of anticipation. -more-
- The W.A.Y. is underWAY (get it!). Although there is no W.A.Y. program on November 25, join us every Wednesday evening for food, Christian education, and music. Details here.
- The Holiday Pajama Drive has one more week. Take a tag from the tree and help local children in need. -more-
- Musicians welcome! Singers and ringers are always welcome. -more-
- Adult choir - rehearses on Wednesdays at 7:15 pm
- Chapel choir - rehearses on Wednesdays at 5:30 pm
- Bell choir - rehearses on Wednesdays at 8:30 pm
- Teens - We are now forming a teen choir! -more-
- The Mission and Justice committee has been busy. Check out their latest activies on the Mission and Justice page.
- Do you like to plan ahead? Our Fellowship Committee does, and they are already looking forward to next year's Church Picnic. Check it out here.
- Going on vacation? Did you know that you can set up your on-line giving so your pledge goes to the church even if you can't. Click on the big green pledge button and and set up your periodic giving. Youcan also direct a gift to any program. Missions, music, youth programs, OGHS and the Deacon's Fund are just a few of the many programs that can use your gifts.
- St. Francis Soup Kitchen is accepting gently used men's and women's lightweight clothing. Place your donations in the box in Fellowship Hall.
- Presbyterians were recently in the national news. -more-
- The Presbyterian Church (USA) is governed by its Book of Order. More than a mere "rule book," the Book of Order is a collection of wisdom, a statement of our church's values, and reasonable operating principles for how the church of Jesus Christ will do its work in the world. The Presbyterian Book of Order is available for downloading here.
- The annual meeting of the congregation and corporation was held on Sunday, February 1, 2015. This year's annual report is available here.
- Subscribe now to our weekly e-mail newsletter.
- The Church on the Hill has many activities for all. If you're into music, if you want to provide support for others, if you want to enrich your Christian life, or if you just want to get out and meet people with similar interests, we have activities for all. Click here for a list of our activites to enhance your life within our church community.
The Presbyterians were in the national news earlier this year. On March 17, the 86th presbytery ratified a proposed change in the denomination's Book of Order. This change amends the church's constitution, broadening Christian marriage from being between "a man and a woman" to "two people, traditionally a man and a woman." Here is an article in the New York Times on the decision (one of the fairest reports thus far).
As you may expect, Presbyterians are people who hold diverse opinions, but generally we believe it is more important to stay together in our diversity than to sever the Body of Christ. Hence there are many perspectives on this matter within our fellowship, although there is great consensus on the power of love and the importance of lifelong commitment.
Want to talk about this? The pastor's door is always open and he welcomes a conversation, especially if you buy the coffee. There is also an excellent study that the national church put together that is available for download. Feel free to give it a look.
- The Holiday Pajama Drive is underway. Through the Scranton-Lackawanna Human Development Agency, pajamas will be delivered to many young children. If you wish to participate, select a tag from the Pajama Tree, make your purchase, and return a wrapped gift with gift tag on outside of gift by December 6. Any questions may be directed to the church office at 570-586-6306.
- The all-church advent program and potluck is on December 6th, immediately after worship.
- The Christmas cookie exchange and Christmas caroling program are on December 13.
- The second mending service of the year will be on December 20, at 4:00 pm.
- Christmas Eve is always a special night for all Christians and for us at FPC.
- It is never too early to start planning for the next church picnic and the church Fellowship Committee is already hard at work making plans. 2016 will again find us going to Camp Lackawanna. It will be held the weekend of August 13-14, 2016. Worship will be at the outdoor chapel at Camp Lackawanna on Sunday morning at 10:00 with a service in Clarks Summit as well. There will be hiking, canoeing, and just having a great time enjoying a beautiful spot in God's creation followed by a picnic provided by the church. In the past, we have reserved cabin and tent spaces for anyone who would like to come Saturday evening. We would have a simple supper and a camp fire with lots of singing and s'mores. The Fellowship Committee is now looking for a show of interest in the Saturday night activities. There will be a small fee to those using the cabins/tent sites and canoe rentals. Please contact the Church ofice at 570-586-6306 if you think you might be interested in the Saturday night activities and staying over night at the camp.
Check our Calendar for more upcoming events.