Welcome! We are glad you visited our online home.
Welcome to the online home of First Presbyterian Church of Clarks Summit, PA – “The Church On the Hill.” We are glad you have found the website of this lively, loving and faithful congregation. We invite you to click through our pages and discover why so many thoughtful Christians in our region make this church their spiritual home.
We are a congregation of the Presbyterian Church (USA) and have more than 500 members. Each week about 200 people attend worship and education, which makes us one of the largest Presbyterian congregations in Northeastern Pennsylvania.
We welcome all people to our church family.
- The W.A.Y. is underWAY (get it!). Join us every Wednesday evening for food, Christian Education, and music. Details here.
- February 7 is a big day (and not just for football fans). Featured at FPC are:
- Mardi Gras Jazz Communion - featuring the Presbybop Dixieland Sextet
- Souper Bowl of Caring Sunday - Collections will be taken after the 10:00 service and the money collected will go to the Abington Ecumenical Food pantry in Dalton. Last year we raised $405.
- The annual meeting of the congregation and corporation of First Presbyterian Church of Clarks Summit will be held on February 7, 2016 beginning at 11:45 a.m, after a pto-luck lunch. The Annual Report for 2015 is available here. Previous reports are available on our Archives Page.
- Join us for our next Arts Series event, on February 12-14, featuring a juried art show, the juggling of Rob Smith, the Chili Cookoff, piano music from the Abington Piano Academy, and Rev. Carter renewing marriage vows for all who are interested. -more-
- Also on February 14, our Mission Committee has several events planned. -more-
- Attention youth - the next event for youth is Church Family Feud! Test your game show skills and have some fun on February 19, at 6:30 pm. Check out our poster.
- Our next mending service will be on February 28.
- Baby, it's cold out there! This winter, we will again be helping those less fortunate who need help keeping warm this winter.
- Yaya is here! Williamson Jacques, nicknamed, Yaya, the 2016-2020 Keystone College International Education and Peace Scholar arrived on January 1st. See how you can help. -more-
- Musicians welcome! Singers and ringers are always welcome. -more-
- Adult choir - rehearses on Wednesdays at 7:15 pm
- Chapel choir - rehearses on Wednesdays at 5:30 pm
- Bell choir - rehearses on Wednesdays at 8:30 pm
- Teens - We are now forming a teen choir! -more-
- The Mission and Justice committee has been busy. Check out their latest activies on the Mission and Justice page.
- Do you like to plan ahead? Our Fellowship Committee does, and they are already looking forward to next year's Church Picnic. Check it out here.
- Going on vacation? Did you know that you can set up your on-line giving so your pledge goes to the church even if you can't. Click on the big green pledge button and and set up your periodic giving. Youcan also direct a gift to any program. Missions, music, youth programs, OGHS and the Deacon's Fund are just a few of the many programs that can use your gifts.
- The Presbyterian Church (USA) is governed by its Book of Order. More than a mere "rule book," the Book of Order is a collection of wisdom, a statement of our church's values, and reasonable operating principles for how the church of Jesus Christ will do its work in the world. The Presbyterian Book of Order is available for downloading here.
- Subscribe now to our weekly e-mail newsletter.
- The Church on the Hill has many activities for all. If you're into music, if you want to provide support for others, if you want to enrich your Christian life, or if you just want to get out and meet people with similar interests, we have activities for all. Click here for a list of our activites to enhance your life within our church community.
- Clarks Summit Ice Festival events at FPC (February 12 - 14)
- Ice sculpure - all weekend at the main entrance on School Street
- Friday, February 12
- 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm - A juried art show featuring art from church members and the Northeast Photography Club in the church library
- Saturday, February 13 -
- The Art Show continues from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm.
- Entertainment by the Abington Piano Academy students from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm - Fellowship Hall
- The Chile Café from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm - Fellowship Hall
- Clarks Summit's favorite juggler, Rob Smith at 2:00 pm in the Sanctuary
- Sunday, February 14 - Renew your marriage vows at Rev. Carter's renewal service
- Our next Mending Service will be on February 28.
- On March 5, at 10:00 am, join us for the fifth annual Janson Lecture series, featuring Dr. John Lawlor. Dr. Lawlor, a member of FPC, is a noted Old Testement scholar, and will present the tole of geology, history, aracheology, and Theology in understanding the land of the Bilble and the Bible of the land.
- It is never too early to start planning for the next church picnic and the church Fellowship Committee is already hard at work making plans. 2016 will again find us going to Camp Lackawanna. It will be held the weekend of August 13-14, 2016. Worship will be at the outdoor chapel at Camp Lackawanna on Sunday morning at 10:00 with a service in Clarks Summit as well. There will be hiking, canoeing, and just having a great time enjoying a beautiful spot in God's creation followed by a picnic provided by the church. In the past, we have reserved cabin and tent spaces for anyone who would like to come Saturday evening. We would have a simple supper and a camp fire with lots of singing and s'mores. The Fellowship Committee is now looking for a show of interest in the Saturday night activities. There will be a small fee to those using the cabins/tent sites and canoe rentals. Please contact the Church ofice at 570-586-6306 if you think you might be interested in the Saturday night activities and staying over night at the camp.
Check our Calendar for more upcoming events.